Applying Hot Fix Rhinestones
Proper application of hot fix rhinestones will determine if they "stick"!
HOW TO APPLY YOUR RHINESTONES:
The Rhinestones used to attach to garments, whether glue-on or iron on, are flat on the back side. There are two basic types of Flatback Rhinestone. One is the Regular Flatback, more commonly known as the glue-on rhinestone. The other is the Hot Fix Flatback, more commonly known as the iron-on rhinestone. These two types of Flatback have no difference in colors. The only difference is in the method by which they are placed, applied or attached to the fabric or to whatever surface you may want to attach them on to. The weakest link in the rhinestone system is its mirror backing, the coating on the back of a rhinestone is a mirror bonded to the glass. This mirror does not have a very strong bond with the glass and can be pulled free of the glass over time. This is why you may see a silver spot where a rhinestone used to be. When you use heat set rhinestones, only the backing is glued to the fabric. These stones will come loose over time in a washing machine and/or dryer. It is highly advised to hand-wash any items with glued rhinestones, regardless of how they are put on the garment.You will find the setters, glues, settings and Bejeweler here on our website under supplies.
HOT FIX RHINESTONES: Swarovski Hot Fix rhinestones stones have glue that melts at about 340 - 375 degrees F. If your fabric is easily damaged by heat, these are not the stones for you. Hot Fix Flatback Rhinestones are ironed-on to the fabric by using either a regular iron (turn off the steam), a heat press or a Bejeweler Hot Fix Tool. This type of Flatback rhinestone already has the heat sensitive glue applied on the back of the rhinestone. Its quick, it's clean and it's easy. No other glue is needed. This special glue, which is grayish-green in color, melts when heat is applied and attaches the rhinestone to the fabric. The glue dries clear. I personally use hot fix rhinestones on all different types of fabrics - lycra's, stretch velvets, glissenettes, micro-mesh, stretch lace, holograms and metallics. I recommend washing the fabric before you apply the rhinestones. This will remove any chemicals that may be in the fabric during the manufacturing process of the fabric.
BEJEWELER TOOL METHOD:
1. Before plugging in hot-fix tool, ensure that you are using the proper sized attachment for the rhinestone size you wish to affix.
2. Plug in the hot-fix tool and lean it on the provided stand.
3. Take care not to touch the metal as it heats up.
4. Get your fabric ready and place it face up on a flat surface that can withstand heat.
5. Place all rhinestones face up in a separate area.
6. Pick up hot-fix tool by handle and place on the rhinestone; rhinestone should readily fit and affix to the tool.
7. Now place rhinestone onto fabric where you wish it to adhere. (I recommend holding your fabric and bringing the stone and fabric together vertically. Less chance of the stone falling out of the tool and landing somewhere you don't want it.)
8. Press rhinestone into place on fabric, and lift straight off (quick motion). You may need to press down on the stone with your finger, to ensure it is attached to the fabric.
9. If the stone becomes stuck in the tool, simply take a straight pin and slide it through the sides of the tool tip, and release the stone onto your garment or a piece of paper.
10. MOST IMPORTANT - be patient. Be sure the glue is totally melted on your stone before you stick it to your fabric. A small amount of glue should ooz around the sides of the stone when placed on your garment. This forms a setting for the stone. Most people get in a hurry, and try to rush the job, thus the glue does not melt all the way, and the stone then do not stick like they should. Be patient - and practice and you'll soon be an expert.
1. Place fabric face up on a flat surface that can withstand heat.
2. Position rhinestones face up (sparkley side up) on fabric in the area where you wish it to adhere.
3. Heat up your iron to a medium high setting.
4. Once iron is heated, press and hold iron to the rhinestone; glue should melt and rhinestone should adhere to fabric (about 15 to 25 seconds).
5. Let cool.
6. Practice on scrap fabric before you work on your project.
WARNING: Do not dry clean any garment that has any kind of glued stones on it, be it glue or heat fix. Regardless of the manufacturer, the cleaning fluids can denature the glue, cause it to become yellow and brittle, or just plain dissolve it.
- Deal of the Day
- SWAROVSKI CRYSTALS
- SWAROVSKI FLAT BACK RHINESTONES
- Swarovski 2088, 2058, 2028, 2006 and 2034 Round Flatbacks
- Swarovski Nevettes, Drops, Marquise and Raindrop Flat Backs
- Swarovski Squares, Rectangles and Triangle Flat Backs
- Swarovski 2364, 2365 Pailsey Shapes, Flat Backs
- Swarovski 2738, 2739, 2740, Alpha, Beta & Gama Flat Backs
- Swarovski 2771, 2772, 2773 Geometric Shapes, Flat Backs
- Swarovski 2774, 2775, 2776, 2777 Geometric Shapes, Flat Backs
- Swarovski 2204 Pure Leaf Flat Back
- Swarovski 2585 Graphic Flat Back Crystals
- Swarovski 2709 Rhombus Flat Back
- Swarovski 2714 Fan Flat Back Crystals
- Swarovski 2797 Diamond Leaf Flat Back
- Swarovski 2798 Contour Flat Back
- Swarovski 2808 Heart Flat Back
- Swarovski 2813 Moon Flat Back
- Swarovski 2816 Rivoli Star Flat Back
- Swarovski 2826 Rivoli Snowflake Flat Back
- SWAROVSKI FLAT BACK, HOTFIX RHINESTONES
- Swarovski 2078, 2038, 2028, 2012 Round Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- Swarovski Drops, Nevettes, Marquise Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- Swarovski Squares, Rectangles, Triangle Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- Swarovski 2817, Star Hotfix Flat Back
- Swarovski Hotfix Bundles of Colors
- Swarovski 2712, Margarita Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- Swarovski 2364, Paisley Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- Swarovski 2365, Paisley Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- Swarovski 2714, Fan Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- Swarovski 2716, Rivoli Triangle Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- Swarovski 2738, 2739, & 2740, Alpha, Beta & Gamma Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- Swarovski 2753, Edelweiss Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- Swarovski 2771, 2772, & 2773, Geometric Hotfix Flat Backs
- Swarovski 2774, 2775, 2276 & 2777, Geometric Hotfix Flat Backs
- Swarovski 2788, Wave Hotfix Flat Backs
- Swarovski 2808, Heart Hotfix Flat Back
- Swarovski 2813, Moon Hotfix Flat Back
- Swarovski 2816, Rivoli Star Hotfix Flat Back
- Swarovski 2847, Pentagon Flat Back, Hotfix Crystals
- SWAROVSKI SEW-ON FLAT BACK RHINESTONES
- SWAROVSKI FLAT BACK RHINESTONES
- SWAROVSKI NAIL ART
- SUPPLIES AND TOOLS
- Gift Certificates
- Project Gallery
- HELPFUL INFORMATION